7 Conditions for a Woman's Dress
An Islamic Farda is a word that indicated the following conditions:
1. Clothing must cover the entire body, only the hands and face may remain visible
(According to some Fiqh Schools).
Ayesha (RadhiAllahu Anha) reported that Asma’ the daughter of Abu Bakr (RadhiAllahu Anhu) came to the Messenger of Allah ﷺ while wearing thin clothing. He approached her and said:
'O Asma’! When a girl reaches the menstrual age, it is not proper that anything should remain exposed except this and this. He pointed to the face and hands." [Abu Dawud]
2. The material must not be so thin that one can see through it.
3. The clothing must hang loose so that the shape / form of the body is not apparent.
Abu Huraira (RadhiAllahu Anhu) reported that Messenger of Allah ﷺ said, "Women who are naked even though they are wearing clothes, go astray and make others go astray, and they will not enter the Garden and they will not find its scent, and its scent is experienced from as far as the distance travelled in five hundred years." (Muwatta)
4. The female clothing must not resemble the man's clothing.
Sayyidina Ibn Abbas (RadhiAllahu Anhu) said that Allah’s Messenger ﷺ cursed men who try to resemble women and women who try to resemble men. (Ahmed)
5. The design of the clothing must not resemble the clothing of the non believing women (Kafir).
6. The design must not consist of bold designs which attract attention.
7. Clothing should not be worn for the sole purpose of gaining reputation or increasing one's status in society.